EGSA Council Minutes
24 August 2011 11:15am-12:15pm
President – Danielle Williams
VP – Nathan Kilpatrick
Secretary – Sarah Aspen
Treasurer – Heidi Seelke
Peer Advisor – Jeff Bilbro
– TECH: Still working on our website, trying to pass on the necessary info to update/work it
– PROGRAM INFO: Intention to update online MA and PhD program information. Seeking clarification on confusing items as well as new information where needed, and omitting information no longer accurate.
– FACULTY R&L: Seeking a faculty go-to person for Religion and Lit. Nathan K currently serves students in capacities we would like a faculty member to do.
– Trying to gather interest groups and information. Only two have responded via email:
- Medieval Reading Group – David Clark and Adam Marshall
- Religion and Lit – Jeff Bilbro and Steven Petersheim
– HETEROGLOSSIA: we would like to increase frequency of these meetings and encourage wide attendance
– ENGLISH EVENT ATTENDANCE: Greater attendance is desired at English dept. events like tea, and especially lectures. Solutions: improved calendar (now available), advance warning and reminders, suggestion to commit to 2-3 every 2 weeks or so.
– DUES: $10 due from all EGSA members to Heidi Seelke (she’s working on her drop-box)
- Cash preferred, checks to “EGSA”? Checking with Lois.
– CLUB STATUS: Still deciding what to do about our Baylor org status: whether to stay unofficial or get official?
- Possibility for GSA takeover? Diff expectations for grad assoc?
– ALUM LIST – and contact info:
- Mollie Moore, Adrienne Akins, etc.
– CURRENT STUDENT LIST: still trying to track down. Jeff will lead this. Sarah will send him Steve’s list of grads.
– Discussion of HETC events: EGSA would like to help organize some events that will satisfy requirements for the HETC program (http://www.baylor.edu/graduate/index.php?id=81885) possibly extending outside of the English Dept.
- Logging feedback
- Adding composition books to biblio
- Making suggestions on point system
– New prelim course place-holder: need to make students aware of new process? See Jeff.
– Desire for Thesis/Dissertation guidance – conclusion that students are responsible to ask the right questions, but EGSA could help by:
- Emphasizing GSA calendar of form due dates
- Pointing to EGSA handbook info (for thesis as well as PhD?)
- Possible peer panel or contacts for unofficial advice
- Jeff may speak to Rachel and Jessica about their experience
- Develop worksheet to guide students and directors in setting dates, how many drafts, etc. and ask the right questions
- Updating research interest groupings so that students can contact peers regarding working relationship with unknown faculty
– SUMMER GRADUATION: Laura Bedwell has brought it to EGSA’s attention that English faculty presence at summer graduations is low. Seeking means of improving this situation.
– FOREIGN LANGUAGE: Reminder to students to file proper paperwork for foreign language requirements and how-to to go in digest
– COURSE OFFERINGS: to be available online as well as in print
– NEW FOLKS: Encourage visiting AWC and CSWC to meet all the new students – digest
– EGSA MEETING 1: To be held Sept 1st? 2:30pm? Location?