Today’s Digest is brought to you by Pop Sonnets. No, not really. I just thought it should be your lives and had no graceful way to shoehorn it in to an actual announcement.
Monday, Sept 29: Beall-Russell Lecture: Amy Tan
- “An Afternoon with Amy Tan”
- 3:30 PM, 510 Cashion Building
- Sounds cozy, doesn’t it? Like you get to have tea with her.
- And you get to have an adventure, finding things in the business school!
Monday, Sept 29: PROFF Workshop, “Finding Fit: Knowing Yourself and Your Academic Job Options”
Wednesday, October 1: ATL SET Seminar, “Flipping the Classroom”
- Specifically, “Lessons from the Flipped Religion Class”
- Mars McLean Science Building 101
- Dr. Robert Wallace (Religion)
- You will not learn to turn your classroom upside down, except in the most metaphorical of senses.
- Fregister here.
Thursday, October 2: Annual Drumwright Family Lecture, Ken Myers (Mars Hill Audio)
- “Owen Barfield: The Overshadowed ‘Second Friend’ of C. S. Lewis”
- (You’ve got to imagine a lot of people wanted to be “First Friend.”)
- 4:00 PM, Alexander Reading Room (Honors College)
- No connection to Mars Hill Seattle. Sigh with dejection or relief, whichever is appropriate to you.
- They are promising High Tea afterwards in the Garden of Contentment, so this is super-legit Brit Lit stuff.
Graduate Student Spiritual Life: Q&A with Tim Elmore
- October 6, 12:00 PM, Bobo Spiritual Life Center
- We don’t have a fancy title or a fregister link yet.
- If you want to connect with your undergraduate students and motivate them to learn, Tim Elmore is supposed to be the guy. Not a guy, the guy.
- He’s also speaking at Chapel, so again: legit.
- There will be coffee. Maybe bagels?
- I might have ulterior motives, having helped to plan the event. Show up. Make me look good.
Saturday, October 11: Annual GSA Tailgate
- Bring your family and feed them barbecue!
- There will also be face-painting. For children, but you can ask them to make you look like a healthy, well-adjusted member of society, too. Makeup is amazing these days.
- RSVP so they buy enough brisket!
- More details coming. But if you’re feeling antsy, talk to our own Nicole Bouchard (Nicole_Bouchard@baylor.edu), GSA Social Mastermind. (Official job title.)
Waco Cultural Arts Fest, Sept 26-28
- One of many oases in the cultural wasteland.
- But really, your community cares about the arts, so go care with some other people. Bring your kids. It looks good for kids.
- More information here.
Teacher of Record, PhD Candidate
Department of English