Program Information and Forms

EGSA Handbook

The EGSA Handbook is your peer-compiled guide to all the wisdom of the EGSA. Below, you’ll find helpful links to the forms and spreadsheets that it references arranged roughly in the order in which you will need them during your years in the English Graduate Program.  If you need additional guidance, contact the Peer Advisor.

Spreadsheets and Ongoing Resources

Degree Requirements and Spreadsheets

Travel Funding


Prelims, Prospectus and Research

  • Checklist for prelims and prospectus: A helpful list of things to keep in mind between course-work and dissertation.
  • Guide to Preliminary Exams: A website with links to sample prelim lists of those who have gone before.
  • Classroom Observation Evaluation: An evaluation form from the ATL that faculty and peers can complete to give you feedback on your teaching and add to your portfolio.
  • Result of Preliminary Examination – Complete this form after passing your prelims and before starting your dissertation hours
  • Dissertation Committee Form: Pick up this form from the English Office before you go to your Prospectus review, so that the committee members can sign it and make you officially ABD.  This is a form that exist only on hard copy in the English office.


  • Checklist for dissertation: A helpful list of things to keep in mind during your dissertation
  • Doctoral Investment Form – this is due at your preliminary technical review, which occurs at least 14 days before your defense.
  • Announcement of Doctoral Oral Examination – this is due at least 10 days before your dissertation defense.
  • Results of Doctoral Oral Examination – bring this to your defense and get it signed
  • Approval of Final Dissertation Copy – fill this out after your dissertation examination and after your committee chairperson approves your revisions.
  • Copyright and Availability Form – fill this out and turn it in during your final review.  Most professors recommend checking the two year box so you have time to get your dissertation published before your brilliant ideas are disseminated freely.
  • Change of Grade Form – fill this out to get your dissertation hours changed from incomplete to complete.  It’s not online, but Lois has copies of it.

The Job Search